Friday, September 09, 2005

Hurricanes and Holidays

We're going to the beach for our only vacation this summer. I plan for us to do some swimming in the ocean, maybe do some fishing, look for shells and maybe eat some seafood. I have been really looking forward to this.

My sons though, are concerned about Hurricane Ophelia. The oldest kid, thinks we're going to get washed away. I explained that we're going to a different ocean, but I can understand their fears.

As parents we try to inform our kids without scaring them. Give them the tools to make good decisions, to take appropriate actions and empower them in the process.

This hurricane and the subsequent bungling of coordinated relief efforts though, is down right terrifying.

My kids have a good reason to be scared.

I think the rest of the country should at least be very concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment