Thursday, June 05, 2008

"Hey, Weren't you in..."

This weekend, someone came up to me and asked me if I was in the film Stop Loss. 'Yes, Yes, I am." I most happily replied.

Now, if anyone reading this is an actress, or if you work with actors, you know that when we(actors) are recognized, we absolutely love it a zillion times over. For some reason, getting recognized for other more noble things, just doesn't compare, but when someone sees your acting and they notice you later for it: Wowzee! What fun!! I would not be out of order to say that many of us feed on such recognition. I think though, this mostly goes for us small change actors. The big names, who are always being asked for an autograph, probably don't think it's such a wonderful thing. Maybe more of a hassle. But not me!! I'm always thrilled if someone has seen me in a film.

Unfortunately, the down size is that people then start thinking that they've seen me in other films. Films I've never been in. And then I have to keep telling them "um.. no, I wasn't in that one. Oh, huh, no, that wasn't me. " And when I tell them what I have been in, and they haven't seen them, well, the conversation gets down right awkward and depressing.



When I was talking about this with one of my actor friends, he told me to just lie about it and say I was in them. His angle was that the person I was talking to would be extra thrilled to know such a star. HA HA, Oh Boy, wouldn't that be great. What a list of films I would have to my credit! Really, if I was to start lying, why not throw in some really good stuff, like... I just got back from shooting in LA with Brad Pitt (Really great guy! and much more handsome in person!) and while I was there I had dinner with Spielburg and Hanks (Can you believe Steven was the funny one? Kept the rest of us in stitches!), and lastly, ... I keep my Oscar on the mantle!



But if you really know me, you know that lying is not what I'm about. In fact, if you ask me for my opinion, I'll give you my take on a situation, even if it's not the popular one. If I've done something wrong, I fess up pretty quickly. If someone has done something wrong, I'll call them on it (or I won't have anything to do with them anymore).



So to sum up my ramblings for today. I would say - I love acting!! I love it when someone occasionally recognizes me for being an actress. I do not love it when the conversation gets awkward and that I'm not nearly as exciting they would like me to be. And lastly, I'm not a bullshitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment